I checked the sale ads this week for what was on sale in order to plan my meals. Flank steak (1 lb/$4.98) and cheese (2/$3.00) were two biggies so I did a search on Allrecipes.com (my favorite place to search for recipes) and found a great recipe to try. I always do some modifying so I typed my changes in blue. For sides, I made mashed potatoes using red potatoes with the skins left on them and added some feta cheese and garlic salt. We also had some french bread with garlic butter. The entire meal was very good. My husband gave the flank steak pinwheels 5 stars (out of 5). It was super yummy and very gourmet in taste and appearance even though it was a quick and easy meal to make. Hope you all give it a try – it is well worth it!! I included some pictures – yes the one before it is cooked looks pretty gross – just remember, it tastes great 😉 Total cost for this meal was around $11 – pantry staples were not figured into the price, you probably already have it on hand (soy sauce, olive oil, breadcrumbs, etc.). It fed four with some leftover.
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1/4 cup soy sauce
- 1/4 cup red wine I did not add this
- 1/4 cup Worcestershire sauce
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1 teaspoon Italian seasoning
- 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 1/2 pounds flank steak, pounded to 1/2 inch thickness Mine was not quite that large
- 1 clove garlic, peeled
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 cup chopped onion My children will not eat onions so I left this out
- 1/4 cup fine dry bread crumbs
- 1 cup frozen chopped spinach, thawed and squeezed dry I used a little less just to be able to close it up
- 1/2 cup crumbled feta cheese
- In a large resealable bag, combine the olive oil, soy sauce, red wine, Worcestershire sauce, mustard, lemon juice, 1 clove of garlic, Italian seasoning and pepper. Squeeze the bag to blend well. Pierce the flank steak with a knife, making small slits about 1 inch apart. Place the steak into the bag, and seal. Refrigerate overnight to marinate. I put in the fridge to marinate this morning – meat was full of flavor!
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C).
- Crush the remaining clove of garlic on a cutting board with a large chef’s knife. Sprinkle the salt over the garlic, and scrape with the blunt side of the knife to make a paste.
- Remove the steak from the bag, and discard marinade. Spread the garlic paste over the top side of the steak. Place layers of chopped onion, bread crumbs, spinach, and cheese over the garlic. Roll the steak up lengthwise, and secure with kitchen twine or toothpicks. Place the roll in a shallow glass baking dish.
- Bake uncovered for 1 hour in the preheated oven, or until the internal temperature of the roll is at least 145 degrees F (63 degrees F) in the center. Let stand for 5 minutes to set, then slice into 1 inch slices to serve.