Tonight I made Simple Whole Roasted Chicken (from allrecipes.com), roasted potatoes, and french style green beans. Whole chickens are fairly inexpensive. The one I used tonight was around $4. The potatoes are from the 5 lb bag I bought for $1.99. The green beans were some I bought during the holidays when canned goods were easy to find on sale – but generally they are less than $1 anyway.
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1 teaspoon white sugar
- 1/8 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1/8 teaspoon ground allspice
- 1/8 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/8 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 (4 pound) whole chicken
- 5 cloves garlic, crushed
- In a bowl, mix the salt, sugar, cloves, allspice, nutmeg, and cinnamon. Rub the chicken with the mixture. Cover chicken, and place in the refrigerator for 24 hours. I put the rub on the chicken this morning and let it refrigerate during the day. (I forgot all about it last night.)
- Preheat oven to 500 degrees F (260 degrees C).
- Stuff the chicken cavity with the garlic. Place the chicken, breast side down, on a rack in a roasting pan.
- Roast 15 minutes in the preheated oven. Reduce heat to 450 degrees F (230 degrees C), and continue roasting 15 minutes. Baste chicken with pan drippings, reduce heat to 425 degrees F (220 degrees C), and continue roasting 30 minutes, to an internal temperature of 180 degrees F (85 degrees C). Let stand 20 minutes before serving.
I cubed the red potatoes with skins still on and tossed with olive oil, salt, pepper, and fresh crushed garlic.