I made one of my all time favorite cakes tonight so thought I would share the recipe. I clipped it from a magazine a long time back and couldn’t find the exact one online but this is the closest one I could find. I will show the differences in red. If you like carrot cake, you should love this one. It reminds me of a carrot cake (minus the carrots :-)) but it is much easier to make! It is also low fat – although it is high in sugar. Give it a try – you’ll love it!
Hawaiian Wedding Cake I from allrecipes.com
- 1 1/2 cups white sugar (my recipes calls for two although I never add all of it)
- 1 teaspoon baking soda (2 teaspoons)
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 eggs
- 1 (20 ounce) can crushed pineapple with juice
- 1 cup chopped walnuts
- 3/4 cup flaked coconut (1 cup)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Grease one 9 x 13 inch pan.
- In a large bowl, mix sugar, soda, and flour by hand. Mix in eggs, pineapple with juice. Stir in nuts, and coconut. Pour into prepared pan.
- Bake for 35 to 40 minutes. Cool on wire racks.
Top with cream cheese icing (don’t get lazy on me, make it from scratch – you’ll be happy you did!!). I use 1 box low-fat cream cheese, 1/2 cup butter, 1 teaspoon vanilla, and about 3 cups of powdered sugar to make mine. I keep it in the fridge since it has the cream cheese icing. I like to bake the cake in two round pans (take 5-10 minutes off the time) so I can stack them with icing in the middle! I like to sprinkle some chopped up walnuts around the edge to make it look nice.